What to expect during a dental checkup
While the services offered to each patient may vary, there are some general processes followed when you visit us for a dental checkup:
- The dentist will review your medical history to better understand your overall health. At this point, you will need to share with the dentist some information including your diet or any medications you are currently taking. Other pertinent information may include your past dental history, and use of tobacco/alcohol.
- Notify your dentist of any current issues, complaints, or if you have any questions regarding your oral health. Whether you have certain concerns such as bleeding gums or pain with a particular tootht, be rest assured that your Smiles on Queen dentist will be happy to address them. We always encourage our clients to ask questions.
- The dentist will then perform an examination. This includes an assessment extraorally (outside of the mouth in the head and neck region) and intraorally (including gums, cheek, tongue, and teeth). The dentist will also perform a visual oral cancer screening procedure.
- If there is a need to assess certain conditions or areas not visible in an intraoral visual, the dentist may request for x-rays to properly assess and diagnose accurately.
- After all the necessary tests and evaluation procedures are done, your dentist will then come up with a comprehensive treatment plan for you. This treatment plan will entail the recommended treatment and any ongoing care you’ll need to undertake.
Get a customized dental treatment plan
When you visit our dentist for a regular checkup, we will come up with a customized dental plan based on your oral condition. This includes determining an appropriate hygiene recare interval and check up frequency after performing the initial exams. If the dentist recommends any dental work that needs to be done, treatment appointments can then be arranged
BOOK an APPOINTMENT
301 Queen st south, unit 3c, Bolton Ontario L7E 2B1
How often should you visit the dentist?
Although every patient’s need varies, we generally recommend visiting a dentist at least twice a year for professional cleanings and checkups. The main reasons why regular checkups are important include:
- To identify undetected dental problems, early signs of decay, or gum disease. Sometimes decay will not become visible or cause any pain until it is at an advanced stage, becoming much more complicated and costly to treat
- To prevent problems before they develop: The best treatment for any problem is to prevent it from occurring in the first place!
Keep in mind that there are people who need more regular dental checkups than others. For instance, if you have active gum disease, certain environmental factors (eg smokers), systemic conditions (diabetes, heart disease), a family history or genetic disposition to certain dental conditions, or a weakened immune system, you may need more frequent dental appointments.
Get in touch with us and ask our professional team about a dental visitation schedule that works best for you!