Taking care of your sports guard:
When you invest in a sports guard, take the right steps to maintain proper hygiene:
- Use cold water and a soft toothbrush to clean the sports guard before and after use. Never use toothpaste, as it can scratch the surface of your appliance.
- You can use cool, soapy water to clean the sports guard, or retainer/denture tablets to keep them smelling fresh.
- Avoid leaving the sports guard in hot temperatures or direct sunlight because this can distort its shape.
- Replace the sports guard if you notice it has worn out. Holes or distortion of shape while not allow the appliance to protect your teeth properly.
- Carry your sports guard to the dental clinic during your regular checkups. Your dentist is able to look at it and determine if it’s still in good condition.
BOOK an APPOINTMENT
301 Queen st south, unit 3c, Bolton Ontario L7E 2B1
Why custom made sports guards are the best
How sports guards are made
A sports guard that fits perfectly in the mouth can offer you all the protection you need when playing sports. During a sports injury, your top teeth are more likely to get hurt as opposed to the bottom teeth. Custom-made sports guards are molded to your individual teeth. They offer not only the best protection, but also an added comfort and retention because they are designed from the exact molds of your mouth.
When you visit Smiles on Queen for a custom-fitted sports guard, the dentist will begin by taking an impression of your mouth. This impression will be used to make a replica of your teeth. The mold created mimics every nook and crevice in your teeth, which is what assures the wearer of a custom fit. This mold is then used to create a mouth guard made of a special soft plastic material that can absorb shock and force. When done by an expert, there shouldn’t be an issue in how the mouth guard fits. If you have a sports guard that was custom fitted but doesn’t fit properly, contact us to make the adjustments accordingly. Our dental experts will help you select a sports guard that is right for you.